Sunday, October 01, 2006

Kareena Kapoor was the original choice for Umrao Jaan

Yes, it was Kareena Kapoor and not the gorgeous Aishwarya Rai that J.P. Dutta wanted in the female lead role in his magnum opus classic Umrao Jaan .
Reports are that Dutta wanted Kareena to play the lead role in the film opposite Abhishek Bachchan - both of whom he had launched in Refugee .
A report quotes Kareena confirming the story: "If I may say so, I was offered Umrao Jaan, but I think there was some sort of miscommunication between J P uncle and me. I met him at an award function in Amsterdam."
"I was a little tied up due to something, and by the time I could return his call, he got a little irritated with me, and went ahead with someone else. So, it’s okay, it happens," Kareena added.
And you thought Dutta was just cashing in on the ‘pairing’ of Ash and Abhishek when he announced the two in the lead roles in Umrao Jaan.
That’s what sets Dutta apart from other filmmakers.
Umrao Jaan, which is slated to release on October 20 this year, has Ash covering her face behind a veil, traditionally worn by Islamic women.
The film is a romantic tragedy with heavy Islamic tones.
Source :Apunkachioce

No comments: